Where We Stand
1 Thessalonians 1: 2-7a ~ “We always thank God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers. We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake. You became imitators of us and of the Lord; in spite of severe suffering, you welcomed the message with the joy given by the Holy Spirit. And so you became a model to all the believers…”
Let us first say “THANK YOU”, the outpouring of love and support and encouragement we have received in this process thus far has been so precious to our family! The words above were written long, long ago – to another people in another land, in another time, but the thankful spirit and the fullness of our hearts stands to repeat them again and again. By faith, you all are showing us daily the depths of God’s love and care for our family. Many of you who are reading this, or who will read this in the coming days will share differing religious beliefs than we do, and you may not believe or understand the gift and the blessing that we believe the Lord has given us through your partnership on this journey. We know in our deepest of hearts that God has specifically designed you to be a part of our lives – whatever way, shape, or form that may be – and He has placed you along this path for a very specific reason.
Thank you to those of you who have prayed without ceasing for our new son, who continue to pray for the health and strength of our family emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Thank you to those of you who have already begun to bring loads of donated items for our Fundraiser Garage Sale coming up in 2 and a half weeks! Your selfless generosity is a beautiful example of God’s provision! Thank you to those of you who have been led to donate to our adoption fund financially – whether by name, or anonymously, it matters not – but your gifts across the board all speak volumes to us of your support and your willingness and excitement to stand with us.
As our journey continues, we encourage you all to open your hearts, a small crack, or thrown wide open, to the wonder of His creation and His love – which has been evidently carved into the very being and soul of our new little one, and upon the hearts and faces of those around you! His love for us is overwhelming, the grace He bestows and the redemption He offers absolutely incredible – none of which we could do anything to deserve.
Here’s an update of where we stand at the moment:
- So far, coffee orders have been pouring in and the amount raised in just two weeks is over $600! You never knew you could make that much of a difference by drinking a cup of amazingly delicious coffee each day – but you can!!! To put it into perspective, those two weeks of coffee purchases paid for our entire family’s passports!!! THANK YOU! We will continue to roast and sell throughout this process – so continue to reorder as your heart (and your groggy mornings) require!
- We have a growing pile of donations in our garage – keep them coming! Our sale is Aug 29-Sept 1st and coming up quickly! We will be accepting donations from now until then.
- Jewelry sales are open with links on the site – $12 per piece goes to our fund! Take advantage for gifting, birthdays, christmas, national boxing day…every day is a great day for a gift in my book!
- We are still waiting on two notarized letters and one DHS report to come through to our Social Worker to finish out our Home Study – all three of these are critical pieces that are expected to arrive within the next 7-8 days. Pray that there will be no more delays on this Home Study!
- Our Dossier is missing only a Power of Attorney form and (4) 2×2 passport photos of myself and Kris. After we receive our finalized Home Study, we take the Home Study, my Birth Certificate & our marriage license down to Salem, OR to get them certified by the Secretary of State. Following that, we take our entire packet (Oregon documents, Home study + remaining Dossier file) to Olympia, WA for a WA Secretary of State certification. As soon as that is complete, Dossier is ready to mail off to the agency!
We are praying that our Garage Sale will generate a large amount of funding! Due to the much-quicker-than-anticipated progress, our fees that would have been delayed another 8-12 months are going to be due most likely between now and Christmas! (YIKES). Below are the items/fees immediately upcoming with each milestone step of progress we make:
- Submission to USCIS for immigration: $890 (as soon as Home Study is complete)
- Payment sent with Dossier packet submission: $5,750 (breakdown: $2,250 program fee, $2,000 post-adoption deposit, $1,500 Dossier translation fees)
- Adopting an older child training (required for adoption of child 4+ years): $70
- Program Fees due upon accepting a referral (child match): $5,000-7,000
Total Funds needed to raise within the next few months: $11,710-13,710
I was just explaining my thought process to a friend about an hour ago…In the beginning of this process, we were under the expectation that we had 18-24 months to take our time fundraising and spreading the word, saving and praying over God’s provision for our family. Due to the crazy whirlwind of paper-chasing and how few setbacks/delays we have encountered (thus far), we are now looking at a time frame of 6-12 months until completion.
I’ll be honest – here’s how my reaction to new/challenging information goes on any normal given day: 1. jaw-drop. 2. eyes close. 3. deep breathing begins (I learned this in my birthing classes…”hee..hee..hoooooooooo”…you all should try it sometime). 4. Pulse begins to pick up it’s pace. 5. final deep breath. 6. ANXIETY with a quick left hook to my jaw. 7. reeling, I stumble around for a second or two. 8. two foot plant, determination wrangles anxiety. 9. anxiety wrangling results in streamlined focus. 10. Incredible focus results in extreme and absolute control of said situation.
Really, there’s only one big problem with my MO in this current situation. IT DOESN’T END IN CONTROL!!! I’m finding my biggest challenge is to kick the gut-reaction of anxiety, focus, control, and instead realize (yet again) that concept of open-hands. To present my situation to my God who listens, to request help, simply vent my frustrations, or sit myself in a place of being teachable and vulnerable to what He wants to perfect in my faith.
Philippians 4:6-7 says this: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
As a family, we trust that God had his own timeline for this process all along, and OUR timeline is simply a placeholder – kind of like a “save the date!” – a “TBA” if you will. We hold hands around the dinner table, and huddle up at bedtime surrounded with stuffed baby sheep, purple unicorns, and teddy bears that have seen it all – and we say, “Lord, You know, even if we don’t.”
Hebrews 11…”By faith, Abraham…by faith, Isaac…by faith, Jacob…”etc. etc.
In our story, chapter 11 reads, “By faith the McGreevey family……” and the rest is yet to be written.
Blessings in this journey of faith,